Reflexology relieves discomfort, improving energy flow around the body.
Reflexology is based on the belief that different areas of the hands and feet are connected to other parts of the body. It is a specialist massage, usually for the feet.
Reflexology works in a similar way to acupressure and acupuncture. The principle is that certain points on the feet and hands correspond to the organs and glands in the body. By applying light but firm pressure with thumb and fingers to areas on the feet, it may stimulate energy pathways allowing the energy to flow freely around the body.
It induces calm and relieves discomfort, improving energy flow around the body. The aim is to restore balance to the body, bring about a state of relaxation and help the body’s own natural healing process.
Reflexology has both physical and emotional health benefits, these may include:
- Improve mood and emotional wellbeing
- Reduce stress and increase relaxation
- Improve anxiety and pain management
- Better sleep
- Reduce digestion problems
Heath conditions that would prevent a reflexology therapy, or would need GP or consultant advice prior to treatment are:
- Diabetes (may interfere with medication)
- Low platelet count (<50)
- Pregnancy (first trimester)
- DVT Thrombosis recent
- Recent surgery/broken skin, ulcers or inflammation on the foot including gout
- Fungal infection/skin infections
- Malignant melanoma affecting the feet
During a reflexology treatment you will be fully clothed – only shoes and socks would need to be removed and the treatment is delivered whilst lying on a therapy couch, or seated in a reclining chair.